August 20, 2022
HCG Nasik Team,
August 20, 2022
HCG Nasik Team,
Radiation therapy is an important treatment strategy in cancer treatment. However, it may cause several side effects, especially at the treatment site. The patients should manage these side effects early to avoid complications.
1. Managing Fatigue: You may experience fatigue after radiotherapy that may range from mild to severe. It may be due to anemia, depression, anxiety, change in appetite, trouble sleeping, and reduced activity. Therefore, you must manage fatigue and prepare your body for the next treatment session. There are several ways to manage fatigue caused due to radiotherapy. Some of the tips are:
2. Skincare: You may have moderate to severe side effects related to the skin due to radiation therapy. Caring for your skin is vital to minimize side effects and accelerate healing. Some of the measures that may help you to keep your skin healthy are:
3. Oral Care: If you are undergoing radiation therapy on the neck and head area, you are at higher risk of cavities and tooth decay. There is also an increased risk of bleeding while undergoing dental work. Consult a dentist before you undergo radiation therapy on the head and neck. You may also have dry mouth, loss of taste, oral sores, and difficulty swallowing. Clean your teeth at least four times daily, especially after all meals. Floss twice a day and use fluoride toothpaste.
4. Eat a Healthy Diet: Maintain a healthy diet. Prefer to eat six to seven small meals throughout the day instead of three large meals. If you have diarrhea as a side effect, eat food rich in sodium and potassium, such as oranges, bananas, and peaches. Add fresh fruits and vegetables to the diet.
5. Seek Detailed Information from The Doctor: Get detailed information about radiation therapy and its side effects for your healthcare team. It will help you in preparing for the side effects in advance. If required, you may also write the specific tips your doctor gave during the consultation.
6. Seek Support: Do not shy from seeking support from doctors and nurses, friends, family members, other patients, and support groups. It will help you maintain positivity during your radiation therapy. You may also seek help from counselors who can help you understand and cope with the emotions.
7. Avoid Infections: In some patients, radiation therapy may reduce the number of white blood cells. These cells help in fighting against infection. If you have these side effects, avoid activities that increase your risk of infections, such as avoiding crowded places and not meeting with the unwell person.
8. Managing Other Side Effects: Apart from skin-related side effects, the patients may experience several side effects, depending upon the site of radiation therapy. Discuss with your doctor about managing the side effects.
9. Keep an Eye on Symptoms After Treatment: Several health issues may emerge months and years after the treatment. These are known as late side effects. The late side effects depend upon the site of treatment, and the amount of radiation received. Discuss the late side effects with the doctor that provides radiation oncology treatment in Nashik.
Get latest health articles, tips and news from HCG Manavata Cancer Centre