Cancer treatment causes negative effects on physical and mental health. The patients take good care of their health while on chemotherapy. You should consult the best chemotherapy doctors in Nashik about how to take care of your health during chemotherapy.
Taking care during chemotherapy
- Take adequate rest: Cancer treatment causes considerable fatigue. It is essential to take adequate rest while going through chemotherapy treatment. It will help you to fight against the side effects of cancer treatment. Conserve your energy for doing important activities.
- Eat healthy food: Take a healthy diet during chemotherapy. It will help you to cope with fatigue and prevent the body from nutritional deficiency. You should try eating your meal in several small portions throughout the day rather than three big meals. You should reduce the amount of sugar in your food and incorporate a balanced amount of proteins, fats, and fibers. Anemia may also be the reason for fatigue. Thus, incorporate iron-rich foods such as beans, spinach, and lentils into your diet. Also, take high vitamin C food, such as citrus and strawberries, to improve iron absorption.
- Stay hydrated: Water is important for the body. It helps in flushing out toxins and maintains the concentration of essential minerals in the blood. Further, some side effects of chemotherapy, such as vomiting and diarrhea, cause dehydration. Dehydration is a cause of fatigue and other health issues. So, drink enough water throughout the day. Other drinks that could be of help are juices, decaffeinated drinks, and milk. Consult your doctor if you find it difficult to consume enough liquid.
- Take adequate sleep: Sleep helps manage fatigue. It is necessary that you should get adequate and sound sleep. Avoid reading books or working on a laptop while in bed.
- Maintain a routine: While undergoing chemotherapy, you must set a daily routine plan and try to stick as nearly as possible. It will help distract you from the cancer treatment. Every morning, you should list activities that are on priority and focus on finishing them one by one. However, do not forget to take a rest between the activities.
- Ask for support: Do not hesitate to seek support from the support group, family members, friends, doctors, and medical staff. It will create a feeling of belongingness and help you to conserve your energy.
- Manage nausea and vomiting: Nausea and vomiting are the common side effects of chemotherapy. These symptoms reduce the quality of life, cause fatigue and make you dehydrated. Your doctor may prescribe certain medications that will manage these symptoms. Every patient responds differently to treatment for managing nausea and vomiting. If your nausea and vomiting medications are not effective, consult with your doctor, from whom you are taking chemotherapy treatment in Nashik, and request him to change the prescription.
- Carry a task while going for chemotherapy: Chemotherapy sessions may take time. So, it would be a great idea to carry out work that you are interested in to take away your mind from the treatment. It may include physical books, electronic books, or even needlework. Also, carry snacks while going for chemotherapy. You may also take the lip balm and moisturizers with you as the air at the treatment centers is generally dry.
- Get detailed information: You should get comprehensive information about chemotherapy. This information may include the number of chemotherapy sessions, the time gap between the sessions, possible side effects, and the prognosis of your condition. It will make you more prepared for the outcomes.
- Wear loose clothes: You should wear loose and comfortable clothes at home and during a chemotherapy session. It will allow easy access to the device planted under the skin.
- Avoid infection: There is reduced immunity during immunotherapy. Thus, you must follow measures to avoid infection. Limit the number of visitors. Avoid large crowds. Frequently wash your hands or keep a sanitizer with you. Also, avoid touching the surface and do not touch your face frequently.
- Prepare for chemotherapy side effects: Apart from nausea and omitting, there are several other side effects of chemotherapy. Hair loss is one such symptom. In most cases, the patients have hair loss within one to three weeks after the first treatment. In some cases, the hair loss occurs gradually, while in others, the hair loss is sudden. You may opt for shortening your hair or shaving your head.
- Maintain a positive attitude: Maintaining a positive attitude during chemotherapy not only helps you fight the side effects but also has an overall positive effect on the treatment outcome. Learn relaxation techniques, including yoga and meditation.
- Perform regular exercise: You should maintain an active life. Ask your doctor about the exercise that you can perform while undergoing chemotherapy. Include those exercises in your daily routine.
- Avoid treatment communications: There will be frequent and prolonged discussions about your health and treatment. It may have a negative impact on your mental health. It is important that you should not indulge yourself in such communications.
- Learn to say “No: Saying No is ok. You should learn to say No when required, such as if you are not interested in going to a family gathering or working on certain activities.